Thursday, December 30, 2010

Then why should true love be so complicated?


Face it. We all have missed opportunities, those pesky little moments in which we had done or said something unique to the time at hand. How about waiting to make a turn and realizing just a little too late that your car could've made it? Or, maybe how about the time you thought of a great, witty comeback 20 minutes too late?

That's it. The moment is gone. For all you know, that exact situation may never again present itself. I mean, I'm sure - at some point - you'll make another right turn into traffic with perfect timing. But what if you wanted to tell someone something, and you just never get that chance?

You may spend a great deal of time feeling like you're running after a train that doesn't have another trip scheduled.



When I was in high school, one of my very favorite movies was MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING. In case you're completely behind and haven't seen this movie, Julianne realizes, too many years too late, that she is absolutely in love with her best friend Michael. Days before his wedding to another girl, Julianne finds herself struggling with the idea of telling Michael how she feels while - in the process - trying to break up a happy union. In one particular scene, Julianne and Michael discuss the idea of telling a person you love him at the exact time you feel/think/know it. Otherwise, as they say, the moment just passes you by.

Unfortunately, not enough people take advantage of this way of thinking, and they're often left wondering "what could have been."

So, when I was in high school, I decided I had to be brave, for once. Not long before graduation, I was spurred by the death of a classmate. I told myself it was time to speak up or miss the chance forever. I spent quite a bit of time writing the perfect letter to a longtime friend. It was frightening then and even still as I think about it now. My frame of mind was this: the person you argue with tonight may not be here tomorrow, or the friend you think of as more than a friend might not ever know. In high school, these things are quite a big deal. Unrequited love seems equal to a chronic pain or a tragic loss. The best way to heal the wound or maybe just dull the ache is to reveal yourself... all fears pushed aside.

Believe it or not, I didn't just write the letter and hide it in some drawer. I handed it off and spent the following week hoping for eye contact that didn't come for probably a good two weeks. Go figure, he didn't know what to say to me. In the letter, I made it very clear that I wasn't looking for the same in return. I actually wasn't looking for anything other than the self-satisfaction in knowing that I didn't let something go unsaid. There was a freedom in putting myself and my feelings on the line, and I was also aware of the fact that confessing such things may put the friendship on the line as well.

Eventually, he came around, and, in time, it was as if that very sincere, very honest letter was never even shared.

But it's not that easy; I realize this. There may be someone you see every day or not nearly often enough. You might not know him or her, or it could be someone you speak to on occasion. When does it become time to bite the bullet and say exactly what's on your mind?

Because, before you know it, he may never come around again, and you're stuck with a mind full of thoughts and feelings that you never shared.

Shall this be a New Year's Resolution?
Tell that person you've had a mad crush for years...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"Tell him that you're never gonna leave him. Tell him that you're always gonna love him. Tell him, tell him, tell him. Tell him right now."


P.S. How funny is this video?

No comments:

Post a Comment