Wednesday, December 15, 2010

You're so ambitious for a juvenile.

Okay, so I'm not promising that this will be my only "year-end" blog entry. I've got 16 more days to formulate other END OF 2010 thoughts. However, for now, I bring you my current state of mind.

I recently had that chance to spend a day with a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in about seven years. We had a great time catching up and talking as if we had seen each other a lot more over the course of the many days that passed. Thanks to the internet, we've kept in touch - sometimes more frequently than others - by chatting over IM or writing nonsense back and forth on Twitter. We've mailed mix CDs from state to state and started new conversations without having ended one that was previously in play.

I first met him eight years ago.

So much has changed for both of us... from the time we first became friends to the 2003 New Years visit... and certainly in the years that we've been primarily communicating through computer technology.

Think about all the people that you've known in the last eight years or so. Imagine just how much those people and their circumstances have been rearranged. Where were you eight years ago?



Me? Well, I was a freshman at the University of Miami, complaining pretty much every day. I hated a lot about my situation at the time, and I was desperate to leave the school. There are a handful of memories and people I hold onto from that experience, and somehow I transferred schools, moved a few times, and ended up here.

What if every path had been slightly altered? What if I stayed in Miami? What if I went to Boston in the first place? What if I didn't meet any of the people I know as good friends today?

On an even bigger scale, people I met in 7th grade are engaged. People I met in 9th grade are married. Others have babies on the way or are already parents. A lot of those that I pictured to be married and completely settled down have not done so. Hell, my own imaginary plans for myself flew out the window a long time ago. Piece by piece they disappeared and bit by bit - what was left - changed.

A number of "what ifs" may cross our minds often. We wonder why things have happened to us or the people we love. We try to figure on how we could've changed our own luck. Or, we may even wonder how we became so blessed and ended up with the good fortune others don't have.

And in the last year... What has completely altered the course of everything? Umm... I turned 26 and celebrated it with three of my closest friends - two of whom had surgery a few days prior. I chugged Pepto Bismal on the Maelstrom ride in Epcot. I was diagnosed with mono and was then out of work for three months. I celebrated my brother's marriage to my new sister-in-law. I met President Obama. I saw Pee-Wee Herman perform on Broadway. I ate a lot of food from The Cheesecake Factory, and I started baking all sorts of desserts. I read the Harry Potter series.

Most importantly, I vowed to get myself published by age 30. I'll turn 27 next month.

So, check back with me in a couple years. :-)

"Where's the fire? What's the hurry about? You better cool it off before you burn it out."

3 comments:

  1. don't age yourself!! you're turning 27, not 28!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I love you're blogs. You're not only entertaining, you're inspiring. Here's to your first publication! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - Ari, that's actually the second time I've done that. I said that to Jill a few weeks ago.

    Shannon - Thank you so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete