Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You give love a bad name.

WARNING: If you have not seen the movie Love and Other Drugs (and you plan to), this blog entry may contain plot spoilers. You're welcome.

I have a strong sense of reality. I don't believe in ghosts, and I am nearly certain there isn't a being above that determines our every day. For a long time, I refused to read such things as Twilight and Harry Potter, claiming that my brain just didn't work that way; I couldn't remove myself from the real world long enough to conceive of an entirely fictional world consisting of magic, vampires, or Dark Lords. When I saw the movie Enchanted, I felt physical pain and embarrassment for the characters played by Amy Adams and James Marsden. Somehow, I couldn't put myself in this fairytale land that magically invaded New York City.

I'm not really sure what all this says about me as a person, but what I do know is this - fantasy lands tend to irritate me.



Currently, I happen to be going in and out of one of my "woe is me" moments, and I can't help but feeling somewhat lonely and sorry for myself and my situation. This started a little while before Thanksgiving. Truly, I don't begrudge any of my friends their happiness, but I'm finding myself wishing I could share in it. Join in group outings without feeling like a fifth wheel. Have a regular companion... blah blah... wah wah...

Maybe I shouldn't have gone to see a typical Hollywood romantic comedy (or "emotional comedy," as they are calling this movie) in this mood. But, honestly, I can't pass up a good Jake Gyllenhaal opportunity (unless of course it's Prince of Persia, and he has a dumb accent). His appearance in this particular movie is truly the subject of it's own blog entry. See the movie, and you'll understand.



For the most part, I really appreciated the relationship on screen this time. It isn't perfect. There are flaws in the relationship as well as the people involved. The conversations seem honest and real - as if I were actually watching two people intent on avoiding anything serious. Both people have baggage, histories of loving and losing or not really loving at all. For the first two-thirds of the movie, I was thinking, "I really like this movie... Must buy it on DVD."

But before I could map out immediate plans to see the movie a second time, Hollywood stepped in, and the traditional, predictable elements of chick flicks ruined a perfectly good movie-going experience (but let's also blame the slightly blurred picture, damn Rave Motion Pictures).

It's possible I don't believe in the classic Happy Ending because I have yet to find that Prince Charming, but I do believe in the ever present threat of REAL life. People like Jake's character just don't exist. They don't. I'm sorry. Guys that look like him and are successful like him don't drive miles just to catch the girl with the issues and promise to take care of her, save her, LOVE her. Yes, I'm being cynical, and I am far from the optimist with rose-colored glasses. I'm just trying to explain how things actually go.

Guys like that don't exist. And, if they do, as I said last night, they're dating Taylor Swift... This is the very PG version of what I actually said upon leaving the movie last night.

Perhaps I should take to watching more movies like The Wrestler - down on his luck guy tries and remains, well, down on his luck. I'm really bothered by this ideal life of perfection when the White Knight saves the girl or where two imperfect people can make love triumph over all.

Plain and simple... It just doesn't happen.

"You promise me heaven then put me through hell."

1 comment: