Thursday, November 4, 2010

See the man with the lonely eyes, take his hand you'll be surprised.

Random acts of kindness.

When I was in high school, there was an after school club devoted to being kind, randomly, in the form of different acts. I'm pretty sure the club didn't last very long. To me, it seems kind of silly to create a group for the purpose of doing something people should be doing in their daily lives. Do you need others to tell you how to be nice to people? Do you have to be part of a collective in order to spontaneously pay attention to passers-by?

Unfortunately, most people are not genuinely just - well - kind to others. It takes effort for some to smile and say a simple thank you. Trust me, I know. I work in the food business. Although we all tend to express when a customer is a pain in the ass and horribly rude, it's almost more shocking when someone is nice, expresses appreciation, or leaves a generous tip. This morning, one of my servers (and friends) said to me that everyone was being so great. Customers were actually pleasant. Isn't it a shame to think that we're not expecting it?

For the last week, I have been unsuccessfully searching for a box of Nerds. You'd think with Halloween candy out that I'd be able to find one of those boxes - with the split openings - of grape and strawberry crunchy delights. No luck. Target. Shop Rite. Wegmans. NOTHING! Do you know how happy it made me when someone brought me two tiny boxes of Wonka Nerds yesterday? Simply put, it made my day, and it made me smile. It doesn't take a lot of money or a lot of power. It just takes a little bit of thought and a whole lot of heart. Who knew little candies could make someone's day...

One of my good friends sort of possesses the spirit of being kind to people. She goes out of her way to make someone feel happy or beautiful. It could be a little note she gives the Dunkin Donuts cashier or a one line text message she sends to a friend. She works so hard at making others happy, absolutely convinced that a smile on someone else's face can put one on her own. She's determined to make her first million for someone else, someone that needs it more than she does. It's people like her that send you a book in the mail for no reason or show up to visit you at work when you've had a long day.

Why is it so rare and difficult to find the ones that know making other people happy can make you just as happy in return? As we get into the holiday season, I'm taking this moment to say that I'm thankful for the people in my life - whether it's been for days, years, or even minutes - that have brightened my day and given me inspiration to pay it forward to others.

"So send a smile; we're on our way back home."

1 comment: