Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Never knowing if there's solid ground below.

Dear Ryan Murphy,

Hey. Let me introduce myself.

I am a fan. Okay, I am a "Gleek," as the group of us has been called... I'm pretty sure you're behind that lovely nickname. I currently own every musical recording from the show; I'm anxiously awaiting the Karaoke Revolution game for the wii, and I did run to Macy's to check out the apparel (I didn't buy any... it was all sort of lame). Currently in my DVD player is one of the season one discs. Got it? I love your show.

Once upon a time, you created my all-time favorite television show. No, not "Nip/Tuck." I've never even seen an episode of that. A little too bizarro for me. Back when I was in high school, there was this two-season show that was sort of struggling in obscurity. When I mention it today, only a few people even know what I'm talking about. "Popular" was one of the best shows I have ever seen on television.



The characters were eccentric, and the actors were - for the most part - fresh faces the audience had never seen before. To this day, I still quote scenes with the fabulous Mary Cherry, and I remember guest appearances by people like Delta Burke and Anne Margaret. I used to call it an "Ally McBeal" for teens, but it had a little more quirk. I don't believe "Ally McBeal" ever pushed the envelope with characters like Dr. Bobby Glass, whose gender was questionable (sounds an awful lot like new football coach Beist), or the cross-dressing teacher that drew support from an entire group of students. Hey, who can forget April Tuna? I remember being told I resembled one of the show's leads, Carly Pope, and that always made me happy.

Though the show only lasted two seasons, and viewers were left with a cliffhanger, with the way things have been going so far this season on "Glee," I'm starting to think my memories of the short-lived "Popular" are best just the way they are.



Ryan, what happened? Have you gotten too big for your britches? Suddenly, Sue's one-liners are no longer shocking and hilarious. They now verge on disgusting and inappropriate. You took Mr. Schue (props on casting Matt Morrison, btw) from a fun-loving, dedicated teacher to an entirely creepy pseudo role model that has become far too involved in his students' lives. And what happened to the hilarity of Ken Tanaka or Sandy Ryerson, the previous glee club leader (also, very clever, because the actor Steven Tobolowsky also played Ned RYERSON in Groundhog Day... nice touch)? And then you just make the extra football kid, Matt, disappear? Come on...

Most upsetting at the moment, you cannot be without Puck for two episodes! I don't care if he's pissing you off because he's got a music career. He's a series regular, and the stories are better with him.

Recently, I went back and watched a few of the earlier episodes, before the spotlight exploded and your actors were on the cover of GQ. There was something more interesting about those shows. The musical numbers were better, and - in true musical fashion - their significance in the storyline helped to further the plot. Suddenly, this season has become a pageant of sorts where the contestants perform their individual numbers with the hopes of... what? Hmm... I'm not quite sure. I miss the exposition of Will and Terri's relationship. I miss learning about Finn and his family and just how Kurt fits in. And, I hoped at some point, you could introduce us to Rachel's dads, whom obviously have a huge role in the character that Lea Michele has developed.

I mean, I do love a musical on TV. Hell, I would've watched "Viva Laughlin" if it stayed on the air. I do realize we're still early on in season two, and there's a good chance it's going to air just like last season - with a huge break in the middle. I'm anticipating Carol Burnett's guest spot, and I'm hoping for far more of Cheyenne Jackson. But what I'd really like to see - more than any big names that can attract ratings - are REAL, functioning stories that bring us back to the heart of the show. The outcast doesn't just have to be the heavyset girl or the guy that listens to showtunes. Somewhere, each of us can relate to Quinn or Artie. I want a great, showstopping number that revolves around the story, not the week's tribute artist. And, like my friend and fellow viewer says, how can New Directions be ready for nationals when they haven't even developed solid group numbers? I have a bigger question: how can the group even be GOING to nationals in NY when they didn't qualify or place at regionals? Because, Ryan, you've majorly neglected that part of the story.

Earlier today, I was looking up the phrase "jumping the shark." Most TV viewers know that this is a phrase used to describe some ridiculous ratings ploy that ultimately - when critics and audiences look back - turns out to be the downturn of the program. The term was coined from an episode of "Happy Days" when Fonzie and the crew were visiting Hollywood, and while waterskiing, Fonzie jumped over a shark. You could also liken this to when Ross and Rachel had a baby on "Friends." It's just never the same afterwards.

I wonder, Ryan, if you can't reel it in, what will the critics say was your moment jumping the shark? Was is casting Uncle Jesse as a singing dentist? Was is the mess of a Rocky Horror episode? Or will it be something else that happens five years down the line when the show just can't hack it anymore?

I hope.

Sincerely,
Emily

"What do ya say to taking chances? What do ya say to jumping off the edge?"

2 comments:

  1. I love love love love this post!

    (and you, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DITTO! Your writing style is so brilliant, relatable and REAL. GET the steppin' to writin' go girl. yo.

    love your one and only philly girl!

    ReplyDelete