Thursday, May 12, 2011

Oh well, what you waiting for?

Do you remember having units of different activities in gym class while growing up? There was volleyball, square dancing (at my school - yes), gymnastics. In gymnastics, we were taught to do the semi-dangerous things with the safety of a mat. Something to cushion the fall.

We learn to ride bikes with helmets, drive cars with seat belts; we always looks for an assurance, some sort of guard, that we'll land safely without fear of injury.



Maybe this explains the fear of jumping without a safety net. Who wants to free fall into the unknown? Seriously - that's scary. Taking chances without any indication of the outcome can absolutely be linked to leaping into complete blackness.

This all makes sense in why world when you realized I hate roller coasters that move through the dark. I need to see where I'm going. Tower of Terror? Yeah, that ride scares the shit out of me.

I have to think of the question posed, offering a multitude of hypothetical scenarios as an answer - what would you do if you knew you could not fail? My list is really, really long. I'd move somewhere without knowing anyone. I'd audition for "American Idol." I'd open a bakery. I'd confess a great love (of which none currently exists). I'd attempt to clean my room... ;-)

All kidding aside... How does a generally very cautious person, like myself, walk to the end of the diving board without really knowing how to dive? Well, at some point, you have to surrender to blind faith - or that kid behind you, yelling at you to jump - worrying simply about being in the moment and not about what happens in 20 minutes, 2 months, or 10 years.

There isn't a safety net large enough to protect against failure, insecurity, or heartbreak. So, knowing you have no chance if you don't step to the edge, you simply have to jump. You're older; you've graduated, and you don't need that mat to learn summersaults. Eventually, you will fly, and your feet will never touch the ground.

"Leave your things behind 'cause it's all going off without you."

No comments:

Post a Comment