Saturday, September 4, 2010

Close your eyes and think of me, and soon I will be there...

Do you consider yourself a good friend?

I'm sure most of you would answer yes and hope that your friends would say the same about you. Knowing all relationships in life take work in order to maintain proper and healthy function, what I'm curious about is exactly how difficult it can be to earn the title of "good friend."

I'm sure you've heard the quote regarding footprints being left on the heart. Some come into our lives and leave without making a mark, while others can be there forever whether in physical presence or spirit, simply by creating an indelible memory - positive or negative. At the age of 26, when making new and lasting friendships can unfortunately be difficult, I have started to categorize these so-called footprints and tried my best to keep those people in my life that have been a helpful hand, a kind word, or a cherished friend.

Women's magazines often write articles regarding cleaning out the bad from our lives. These topics tend to come up around the fall, when a new school year starts, and spring, when purging the clutter isn't just about the junk sitting in the bottom of the closet or under the bed. From listening to a lot of my close friends and trying to do this myself, I have learned that one of the most difficult things you can do, as a person and a friend, is learn when to cut ties and put an end to the relationships that have been supposedly toxic or just plain negative. What is the point of hanging onto a person simply due to obligation or ease? When you find you're stressed, complaining, or just worried, it's time for it to end.

If we count our friends by the number of people we supposedly associate with for the terms of online Facebook networking, we're all huge social butterflies and probably can't even keep everyone's names straight. But when you think about how many of those people truly know you and that you honestly know, how many people are there? I can easily say that I have less than 10 of these people in my life (family members not included). Yes, I accept that we all are imperfect but that we know each other's flaws and issues and just how to handle them. With these people, I am never afraid to be myself - silly obsessions, oddball quirks, and nagging pet peeves. I know that at the end of the day, whether it's been a good one or a bad one, one of them is always willing to listen through text, IM, e-mail, or phone.

After emerging from the college experience with only three new close friends in addition to those pals from high school that still show up as favorites on my cell phone call log, I experienced the cross-country move (as you all well know) and tried to find a rung on the ladder of LA social climbers. Without the comforts of high school hallways or college dorm living, it becomes increasingly more difficult to identify true people in our lives, especially in a place like Los Angeles. Can we still use the same things to evaluate what it means to be a good friend? Or do we have to accept that everyone is just looking for a place in this world and might not have the time to care about you or forming a bond?

Over the years, I have managed to somehow decide with whom I want to and need to associate. I have dealt with negativity and pesky qualities that stressed me out more than necessary. I have ended friendships with people while young and accepted that we have been able to grow up and once again be in touch, and I have also realized that some of these people are just not for me. Maybe they can't accept me for who I am, and - while being completely honest - maybe I can't accept them for who they are. We all need outlets sometimes, and that may even mean we stress about our very best friends. But, at the end of the day, if the stressors outweigh the good stuff, it's just not important enough to be worried all the time. Think about the people that matter to you and the people to whom you matter.

"You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am I'll come running."

3 comments:

  1. such an appropriate post for my current state of mind :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Think about the people that matter to you and the people to whom you matter."

    you matter to me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Thank you! :-)

    And glad I wrote your thoughts, Ari.

    ReplyDelete