Sunday, September 26, 2010

I can see a swath of sinners settin' yonder, and they're actin' like a pack of fools.

When I was a lot younger, I remember getting in trouble for speaking out of turn and saying something entirely wrong at the moment. Now, what I said, I have absolutely no idea, but I still remember the lesson I took away from that event. It's a lesson that I'm fairly sure Elisabeth Hassleback and Kanye West never learned. What is this all important rule?

Think before you speak.



While you need to put thought into the words before they exit your mouth, another crucial point is considering how you say the words. Tone, speed, volume. Everything can completely alter the meaning and goal of what you are saying. Maybe my summers of theater camp and years of theater classes helped me here, but I absolutely believe that creating the thought and executing it in the proper way can aid your success.

While working in the entertainment industry, I learned a couple of key things. 1) People will yell at you for no reason. 2) If you go about it the right way, your way of asking for something may just get you what you want.

I will never really understand what gives people the right to think they can raise their voices, berate you, and maybe even make you cry... crushing your spirit into oblivion. Who told that crew guy it was okay to yell and me and complain to my boss because he didn't like my one hour of not dispensing petty cash? When did that producer learn that he could throw things off his desk while screaming at an assistant, only to hire him back an hour later? Who allowed you people to believe this is a normal existence?

On the same point, where on earth would an employee get the right to raise his or her voice to a boss? I can't imagine any person would think this is acceptable.

In moments of frustration, we all seem to inflate a bit - blood pressure hitting the roof, just waiting for the body to explode. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a person that remains completely calm in a tense situation. I myself am guilty of a road rage blackout in which my friend told me I uttered every curse word possible. I remembered none of it. It is moments like this one that push me to reevaluate the situation. It's best to step away, take a breath, and think about just what you need to say and exactly how you should say it.



In California, I was presented with a number of great potential opportunities. When I learned that a jovial nature and a relaxed attitude with a strong interest was the way to success, I was able to attend some really cool events and meet some great people. Nearly every celebrity photo op or red carpet position I was granted came to me purely because I figured out how to properly approach the gatekeeper and phrase the request.

I'm a little stubborn, I admit. And, like most, I don't like being wrong or questioned, but it happens. I promise you, I will be much more receptive to the demand if you can figure out how to calm down and how to speak to me on a common level. I may be shorter than you, younger than you, or of a different gender, but it by no means says that I am not your equal or even, possibly, your superior.

Please, I beg of you, think before you speak and learn how to tailor your sentences to your audience. Not everyone is forgiving or forgetting.

"If you're smart, you'll learn your lessons well."
(I am a huge Godspell fan, and this was one decent performance I could find.)

No comments:

Post a Comment